Greetings! My name is Jerry Tan and I am graduate computer science student from the University of California, Riverside. I am mainly interested in full stack web development, with more experience with front end development. In my free time, I like to play basketball, watch NBA games, play Smash Bros, and learn new technologies. If you would chat with me about potential opportunities, feel free to email me.
UC Riverside - Research Assistant
July 2020 - Sep 2020
DashBill - Web Developer
January 2020 - Sep 2020
- Building new features for Prytaneum, a web platform that allow lawmakers to deliver online town-halls.
- Built an API endpoint and multiple responsive user interfaces that allows users to view relevant bills that a lawmaker has voted on.
- Technologies: React, TypeScript, Express.
Logos News, LLC - Software Development Intern
July 2019 - September 2019
- Created a web platform that lets treasurers of organizations budget and collect membership fees.
- Utilized Material UI for payment table layout and local storage for member/admin authentication.
- Technologies: React, Node, Express, MongoDB.
UC Riverside Computer Science Department - Research Assistant
Dec 2018 - June 2020
- Logos News is a decentralized news platform that aims to provide unbiased content and meaningful engagement to users.
- Enhanced user sentiment towards articles by developing a reaction system using Typescript.
- Built a comment section using Angular, Typescript, and Firebase to further expand the conversation towards the article content.
- Performed code reviews and bug fixes for features in the Logos News website such as user notifications and article view count.
Rose Hack - Lead Organizer/Developer
July 2018 - January 2020
- Enable decision-makers to develop strategies to mitigate homelessness in Riverside County by providing
real-time data through data modeling and cleaning using Pandas
- Implement dynamic Nivo data visualizations that represent homelessness using React and Django web platform.
- Cleaned data for data reports documented in the 2019 Point in Time Count Analysis.
Deepbits Technology - Part Time Software Developer
Feb 2019 - Apr 2019
- UC Riverside's first women-centric hackathon.
- Sponsorship Lead for Rose Hack 2019
- Raised over $12,000 in sponsorship funds, prizes, and amenities for 200+ participants.
- Currently Web Developer for Rose Hack 2020.
- Implemented official event landing page that contains logistic information about Rose Hack 2020 and can save user applications. Built with React/GatsbyJS.
- Collaborated with the marketing committee to design the landing page layout using Figma.
Naval Surface Warfare Center - Student Intern
June 2018 - Aug 2018
- Collaborate with a team of software engineers to develop a tool that identifies vulnerabilities and additional security risks.
- Developed and designed the front end using Bulma.
- Connected the front end with a Django backend.
Citrus Hack - Organizer
Jan 2017 - Apr 2018
- Develop SQL queries using Microsoft SQL to assess missile reliability growth and readiness.
- Developed an algorithm to optimize tools supporting round recertification processing
- Interacted with the missile database in order to test SQL queries.
- Citrus Hack is UCR's premier student hackathon.
- As a sponsorship commitmme member, I reach out to tech companies to negotiate possible partnerships.
- Raised $25,000 in sponsorship funds, prizes, and amenities for 300+ participants
Projects (more projects can be found on my )
I helped build Zodiac Maze, a Unity 2D maze game that is Lunar New Year Themed! There are 11 different mazes that represents each zodiac animal except the rat. The player is the rat whose goal is to deliver the red packet to their friendly zodiac animal somewhere in the maze. More points are awarded for faster completion. This was my first time using Unity for a hackathon project, and I built the game logic and camera controls using C#.
SB Hacks 2020
I helped create Flare , a web app that can detect forest fire on a map. We read in temperature data via Ardiuno Uno and then use Python to serialize the data in order to insert into Firebase. Then we utilized a React Frontend and the Google Maps API to detect increased level of C02 or temperature.
JP Morgan Chase Code for Good Hackathon
Helped create a Flask application that helps Apprisen users to learn more about and keep track of their progress to graduate from Debt Management Program. I was in mainly in charge of the data visualizations, the UI, and the routing via Flask. Placed in top 4 in JP Morgan Code For Good Challenge in Columbus, Ohio.
Rose Hack 2020
Developed application landing page containing logistic information about Rose Hack 2020.
Collaborated with the marketing committee to design the landing page layout using Figma.
Used React/Gatsby and hosted website using Github Pages.
SyncTheatre is a web application for watching Youtube videos with friends over the internet. It includes the ability to create rooms, which you can invite your friends to, where you can enqueue videos and watch them together in sync. Also includes Google authentication and profile creation.
Tools/Frameworks: React, Node.js, MongoDB, Express, Socket.io
Created a web application that helps students find events with free food, music, and items in their campus.
Developed the backend as well as set up user authentication for Facebook and Twitter users.
Tool/Frameworks: React, Node.js, OpenStreetMap, Leaflet.js, Firebase
Cutie Hack 2018
Collaborated with other developers to create the UCR beginner-hackathon website : Cutie Hack. Implemented both the front end and back end of the application form. The website receieved 330+ applications from UCR undergraduate students and local community college students. Technologies used: HTML, CSS, jQuery, Django.
Contact me here!